Positive Alternative Student Support (PASS)
- An on-site, temporary classroom like setting
- A safe, structured learning environment that is supervised
- A program that supports students who may be at risk
- To support students working toward positive outcomes, academically and behavioural
- To increase students insight into responsible behavior
- To develop life skills using a cognitive behavioural approach
- To enhance the student’s self-esteem through achievement
- To avoid an interruption in a student’s education by working on assignments provided by their school
- To support an Action Plan designed to address behaviours associated with the reason for the referral
About the Program
- For students 12-17
- Can be referred by their school, parent/guardians, counselors, social workers or Probation Officers
- Students can be referred to PASS for up to 20 days
- Parental consent is required
- Class runs from 8:30 am to 12:30 pm, Monday to Friday with the exception of statutory holidays and PA days.
- The Trenton site runs the same except from 09:00 a.m. until 12:00 noon.
- Students work independently on assignments provided by their teachers.
- The student may also work on life skill packages related to the reason of the referral.
- One to one assistance and support is provided by a qualified Educational Assistant.
- To support re-entry into the school setting.
- Follow the same code of conduct as in the schools.
- Arrive at PASS by 8:30 am and stay until dismissal at 12:30 pm, Monday to Friday.
- Arrive at the Trenton site by 9:00 am and stay until dismissed at noon.
- Students apply themselves in order to be successful in all tasks and assignments.
- Cell phones will be turned off upon arrival.
- No contraband in class such as cigarettes or lighters.